Friday 28 September 2012

Allegedly the deepest depressions in September for  a hundred years, so we've had our fair share of wind and rain literally hitting the house straight from the Atlantic. Often weather systems appeared more like slabs of weather colliding with the building and I keep expecting the windows to blow in. The change of season and the excuse of firing up the Aga, makes me look forward to the winter months, but if more of this is on its way, I am not sure how much more rain I can handle .
In short,  this year it seems a touch more dramatic than usual.

Sadly though, having recently reshuffled my quiver, the acquisition of a new Bing Mini Simmons 5'8  has meant little in the way of quality swell. Seems like the new board jinx was in full effect, so sorry about that.

The new board has meant that finally I understand what all the 'purist north of the river' guys have been writing about, although I can't pretend to really understand how the dynamics of the shape are delivering in performance under my feet. It just felt fast and fun in swell that really looked neither fast or fun, and made probably a longboarders wave offer up some slightly more exciting options on a board half the length. Films like 'Sight and Sound' have been a big influence on me, on what and how people ride, and I really feel excited about a whole range of shapes that certainly in England, are shamefully considered alternative.  I am not sure quite where my new interest in quality californian shapes will take me, and certainly they would only be in addition to homegrown boards like my Seedhouse shapes.

Spotted this at Icons of Surf; namely a Chris Christenson - Beausoleil 5'4 - I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment