Friday 1 June 2012


Occasionally for my day job, I read through numerous publications that pass across my desk. Amongst these, is Management Today (for my sins) and it's rare to find something that really enthuses me. However, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the above article about the hallowed Ernest Capbert AKA Ernie. It seemed that no so long ago, Finisterre went through a very real challenge that a lot of principled businesses often face. Do they sell out, compromise everything they strived for, get rich and buy fast cars, or stick to their guns and keep true to their original business concept. Finisterre chose not to produce in places that aren't governed by same stringent laws of manufacture as the markets they sell to. Most impressively they didn't put profit ahead of ethical manufacture, or quality of their end product. Topically, both Marks and Spencer and Tesco were in the news for this today, as questions have been asked about 'slave labour' in factories that are producing for UK markets. Whether you have no interest in these principles, one simple fact remains, the clothes that are designed and manufactured in England/EU (certainly in the case of Finisterre) are without doubt exceptionally high quality and to date have proven a much more durable garment. At least when you see such professional marketing with Finisterre, it's all the more admirable that the product is actually consistent with the activities they are marketed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment