Tuesday 22 March 2011

Eternal Father, Strong to save



After a strange start to the week, with a funeral, I feel a lot of sad energy. So with no real sign of swell, I caught up with the Braunton mariner, Skelly and marvelled at his beach scavenged cottage. The place was full of some amazing detail, not to mention a ridiculous catalogue of beautiful boards. Boat keels, and drift wood littered the house, and it just felt like stepping inside the life of a very unique surfer come ancient mariner. Whilst I quickly hurried round, taking in all the old timber and breathing in the salty air, the church hymn 'for those in peril on the Sea' kept ringing in my ears.
Thinking nothing more of it, and being slightly disgruntled to meet another labrador aptly named Bear, I headed home trying to recall the words of the song.

So it caught me a little off guard today, when I arrived at the church only to sing the very tune, as the first hymn in a farewell to my Gran. As we all paid respects to a truly great lady, I couldn't stop thinking of how very precious life is, and a growing feeling to enjoy every last second of it. She did.

Whose arm doth bind the restless wave,
Who bidst the mighty ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep:
Oh hear us when we cry to thee,
For those in peril on the Sea,

William Whiting - 1860

1 comment:

  1. Lovely words and a heartfelt sentiment,Howard. Sorry for your loss!
    You're absolutely right , though, these events affirm our need to enjoy the luxury of life,love,health and happiness, to the FULL!

    ReplyDelete